She Laughed

April 17, 2009

She laughed a lot tonight, repeatedly quoted the same things she has for years and constantly reminded me how much she loved me. She teased the boys and they laughed along, she was having a great time. This woman has had such an impact in my life, I don’t even know if I could begin to tell the story. She is stubborn, sassy, spirited, hard working, God fearing and most of all full of love for everyone around her.


Effie Marie was born May 10, 1926 as the middle child. She had 2 older brothers and 3 younger sisters. Don’t even think about calling her Effie, she didn’t like that name. She was to be called Marie. She only loved one man in her life and she lost him in a tragic car accident after 37 years of marriage. She gave birth to 5 sons, the last pregnancy resulting in twin boys. We teased her that God didn’t give her a girl because the name she picked out was not acceptable. She always wanted a daughter named Spring Dawn. She worked for years at a Orange packing house and retired to care for my boys after her husband died. She loved taking care of others, it was just so natural. She was a Sunday School teacher, a Sunday School Bus attendant, a Deacon’s wife, a singer, cook, photographer, seamstress and prayer warrior. This woman is my Mother-in-law.


The last few years have not been easy on her. She has senile dementia and her memory comes and goes. She broke her hip, then her back. She has become a frail picture of the woman we know. When strangers see her, they don’t know who she was, or how she affected lives of many. When I spend time with her, there are times I get a glimpse of the woman I know. Tonight was one of those nights and I was thankful for this woman I know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amazing that I found your blog. I knew Marie. I still make her delicious Pineapple, cobbler/pie, which she gave me the recipe for years ago. I still can see her mowing her front lawn and that sweet little hairdo she always wore. What a prize of a woman. Thanks for the memories.
Karen said…
Very sweet. Thanks for the comment. I think I need that recipe if you can get it to me. My email address is karenanderson65@gmail.com. We have some of her recipes but not all of them.

Popular posts from this blog

One Last Time